Beaming winners at the awards ceremony
A total of 133 entries were received, of which 41 finalists made it to the next round. In two rounds of voting, the expert jury and task force chose their favourites. The trade journalists attending the bauma Media Dialog in Munich also had the opportunity to cast their vote in the final round.
The competition is a joint project under the auspices of the VDMA Construction – Equipment and Plant Engineering, Messe München, the Federation of the German Construction Industry (HDB), the German Construction Confederation (ZDB) and the German Building Materials Association (bbs).
Fifteen innovations compete for first place
Category 2 Digitalisation
- Haptic collision avoidance, Bosch Rexroth AG
- One common digital language for construction sites, MiC 4.0 Machines in Construction
- MESH Technology, Mesh AG
Category 3 Mechanical engineering
- Ammann 3D Compactor eAPX 68/95, Ammann Verdichtung GmbH
- Built Robotics Exosystem™, Built Robotics Inc.
- Continuous advance, Herrenknecht AG
Category 4 Building
- Process tracking system b.navigate, BAUER Spezialtiefbau GmbH
- TSB - Transport System Bögl – rethinking local transport, Max Bögl
- CPC – Carbon Pre-stressed Concrete, Holcim (Deutschland) GmbH
Category 5 Research
- ROBETON, Individualized Production, RWTH Aachen University
- Site Execution System, TU Dresden - Institute for Mechatronic Engineering
- Deep Sea Sampling, Freiberg University of Mining and Technology Mechanical Engineering Institute
Finalists have been chosen - 41 of 133 innovations convince in the pre-selection process
Category: Mechanical Engineering
- Ammann Verdichtung (www.ammann.com)
- Bauer Maschinen (www.bauer.de)
- Bomag (www.bomag.com)
- Built Robotics (www.builtrobotics.com)
- Dana Incorporated (www.dana.com)
- Doosan Bobcat EMEA (www.bobcat.com)
- Herrenknecht (www.herrenknecht.de)
- Mecalac (www.mecalac.com)
- Wirtgen (www.wirtgen.de)
- Bauer Spezialtiefbau (www.bauer.de)
- Holcim (Deutschland) (www.holcim.com)
- Max Bögl Stiftung (www.max-boegl.de)
- KIT Institut für Technologie und Management im Baubetrieb (www.tmb.kit.edu)
- TU Clausthal (www.tu-clausthal.de)
- TU Dresden (www.tu-dresden.de)
- TU Dresden, Institut für Mechatronischen Maschinenbau (www.tu-dresden.de)
- RWTH Aachen Individualized Production (www.ip.rwth-aachen.de)
- Universität Rostock, TU Freiberg, Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg, Bauer Maschinen, Krebs & Aulich (www.bauer.de)
bauma Innovation Award 2022 – Kick-off on 3 May 2021
VDMA Construction - Equipment and Plant Engineering and VDMA Mining, together with Messe München and the partner associations HDB, ZDB and bbs, are conducting the multi-stage application process and hosting the awards ceremony at the Court Church of All Saints in Munich.
Important links: vdma.org/baumaschinen-baustoffanlagen
VDMA represents around 3,300 German and European companies in the mechanical and plant engineering industry. This innovative industry is export-oriented and predominantly made up of SMEs, employing around four million people in Europe, including more than a million in Germany alone.
Five categories - five prizes - five winners
The Technical University of Munich won the race in the research/science category. Together with their partners they developed a driver guidance system 4.0, which supports the construction machine operators with holograms during their construction site activities. Virtual 3D models and data from different sources overlay real objects and the environment. The operator receives all relevant information in the field of vision. This provides a better overview and facilitates the implementation of changes in the construction process.
Liebherr Hydraulik Bagger won the prize in the Design category. With its new operating environment for construction machines, the company takes the next level of digital control environment by combining physical and digital units: it integrates standard tablets into the control environment of a construction machine and implements the requirements of machine operators using an intuitive Graphics Unit Interface. Man will no longer just operate the machine, he will communicate with it.
Every three years at bauma, VDMA, HDB (German Construction Industry Federation), ZDB (German Construction Confederation), bbs (German Building Materials Association) and Messe München award the bauma Innovation Prize.
This time 138 entries were received, 64% from Germany and 36% from abroad. 53 entries were submitted in the machine category, 44 in the components and digital systems category, 5 in the building/construction processes/building processes category, 18 in research and science and 18 in the Design category. Candidates must qualify in several selection rounds and meet certain criteria. It is about how high the level of digitisation is, how advanced and user-friendly and, of course, how economic the innovation is. Optics and ergonomics also play a role. In the Design category, the combination of form and function is of decisive importance.